N ew element in the controversy. Sandra Bertin, police in control of the CCTV Nice (Alpes-Maritimes) on July 14, the night of the attack that left 84 dead and over 330 wounded, provides in “Sunday Journal” have suffered pressure from the Interior Ministry concerning the processing of images.
the day after the attack, she said it had “dealt with a hurried person who asked me a report indicating the points of presence municipal police, barriers, and to make clear that we also saw the national police on two points in the safety device. I replied that I would write what I had seen. Now the National Police may have been there, but she did not appear to me on video. ”
“This person then asked me to e-mail an editable version of the report (…) I have been harassed for an hour, I was ordered to type positions specific national police I have not seen on the screen (…) I finally sent by email a non-editable PDF and editable another, “she added in the JDD.
Faced with these accusations, the Interior Minister, Bernard Cazeneuve, has announced it Sunday sue for “defamation”. “Contrary to what Ms. Bertin says, is by no means the office of the Minister of Interior sent a commissioner CSU (urban supervision center) or would have had exchanges with it, “he said in a statement, noting that it is in the” single authority “of the Paris prosecutor ‘that investigating officers were dispatched to the CSU Nice.”
VIDEO. Nice: “At no time did the office of Interior Minister is not involved in this investigation,”
A controversy opposed for several days Christian Estrosi, President (LR) of the Provence region -Alpes-Côte d’Azur and Deputy Mayor of Nice, Bernard Cazeneuve, Minister of the Interior, the number of national police officers present that night and on the security device in general, CCTV images support. The General Inspectorate of the National Police (IGPN) shall make a report this week. In addition, the Anti-Terrorism Sub-Directorate (SDAT) requested that the video recordings are deleted to avoid the dissemination of images. The mayor of Nice objected.
Blamed for his absence in the preparatory meetings of the festivities of July 14, Christian Estrosi has responded on his Twitter account.
For the president of the county council and the Alpes-Maritimes MP Eric Ciotti (LR), statements that municipal police are “one more item” confirming “the impression that the Interior Ministry does not play the transparency “. “This testimony (…) asks questions very, very serious, taking a very troubling position (…) this is one more element that demonstrates that something is not clear,” said Mr. Ciotti on France Info.
the National Front (FN), for its part, sees this controversy confirmation of his fears of “a cover-up the truth. ” “The Ministry of Interior gives the feeling of trying to prevent the outbreak of truth in what becomes an affair of state,” denounces the Front in a statement. “The safety device it was sufficient and consistent with the plans provided? Are there any failures that night? That tries to hide the Interior Ministry? “Adds the FN, which reiterates the resignation of Bernard Cazeneuve.
Regarding the deletion of CCTV footage, police municipal Sandra Bertin, who is also general secretary of the independent Union of the local government service (SAFPT) Nice, explains that “there has never been any leak of images from us.”
In addition, the official stressed that the teams could not stop (the truck). We do not burst the tires of 19 tons with a gun! “” If municipal police “had been armed as our colleagues in the national police, one of our claims, they could have stopped it,” asserts -t it.
An unfortunate comparison with the Bataclan
Another controversy she tries to diffuse: the fact that the truck has not been reported in locations carried out by the terrorist the days before July 14. “The problem is that it is not absurd to see a truck of 19 tonnes on the Promenade des Anglais. Every day, this type of truck is delivered hotels, beaches supply. This will not be the first nor the last. “
Finally, it welcomes the work of his colleagues with a comparison it recognizes itself as clumsy. “The truck was spotted twenty seconds after entering the promenade by the municipal police. I am appalled by the accusations about our work. That night, the terrorist was neutralized in a minute against two hours Bataclan (November 13, 2015, during multiple attacks in Paris and Saint-Denis) . I’m sorry for the unfortunate comparison “
Francois Molins.” Achieving manifestation of truth “
in a statement to AFP, the public prosecutor of Paris, Francois Molins, said that it was under his” sole authority for the purposes of the current investigation, July 15, two brigadiers leaders were sent to Nice. ” “Until the opening of the judicial investigation” Thursday “the survey was conducted exclusively by the prosecution,” he added. “It is the sole authority in the prosecution investigators visited several times to Nice to use videos, in order to view the path of the truck. These acts have no other purpose than to achieve the establishment of the truth in the context of a criminal investigation, “said the prosecutor.
The Minister of Justice, Jean-Jacques Urvoas, abounded in the direction of the prosecutor, saying in a statement that “the investigation of the terrorist murders of Nice (…) exclusively by the judicial authority”
Asked about i & gt. TV, Pierre-Henry Brandet, spokesman for the Interior Ministry, insisted that “the Ministry is involved in any legal investigation. These are serious charges. “