INFO LE FIGARO – A thousand others were around the perimeter to introduce them in turn. “From never-seen” according to a police officer.
This is the most massive intrusion has known the Eurotunnel site, since months of migratory pressure. On the night of Monday to Tuesday, 2 200 illegal immigrants have invaded the area of the Channel Tunnel in Coquelles, to try to reach the “eldorado English.” A report in Le Figaro, confirmed by the Border Police (PAF), the Eurotunnel Group and the prefecture of Pas-de-Calais. A thousand other migrants waited on the outskirts to introduce it in their turn, according to police on the ground.
The spills began around 22 hours and ended at 6:00 am, with circumscribed by difficulty a police strength of 90 officers. “Usually they are 500 or 800, but this intrusion then, it was the never-seen commented exceeded, a policeman from Calais. And 90 colleagues to secure the inside and outside of Eurotunnel, which is 23 km perimeter, almost two thirds of central Paris is necessarily difficult, if not of great anything “.
The migrants came from all the” new jungle “, 7 km away, a vast camp” authorized “since the beginning of the year, after the evacuation of the ancient jungle squats the town center of Calais. This Sangatte open pit adjacent to the new visitor center of Jules Ferry-day, inaugurated by the Minister of Home Affairs, Bernard Cazeneuve.
“Usually they are 500 or 800, but this intrusion then, it was the never-seen “
During the intrusion, fifteen migrants were injured and taken to hospital Calais. “Essentially fractures,” said a policeman. Illegal cling to Channel shuttles while they are running, rolling around in the area from 30 to 50 km / h. It is the freight shuttles (800 meters long), where trucks are transported, ie open structures where illegal can more easily ride as if they were cars. Since June 1, eight migrants died this way. During the night, 1900 illegal immigrants were “pushed” 200 “intercepted” according to the prefecture of Pas-de-Calais and arrested a fortnight, according to police.
Since fifteen days, Eurotunnel has increased its security by increasing its “Device human and technological resources,” says the management. Fifty personnel, an external security company, were recruited, bringing staffing dedicated to 150. In six months, with an unprecedented influx of migrants on its website, Eurotunnel said it had spent € 13 million for securing, as much as for the whole of 2014. An invoice that the company intends to present to the French and British states.
“We ask for the first half of 2015, to the States, to refund 9.7 million euros expenses and operating losses this migratory pressure “
” We are asking for the first half 2015, States, to refund 9.7 million euros expenses and operating losses this migratory pressure “, announced last Wednesday the group’s CEO, Jacques Gounon. This is the second time that Eurotunnel submitting a request. On January 30, 2007, the group had been successful – so for illegal intrusions from the Sangatte center between 2000 and 2002 – and the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague had estimated its loss to 24 million euros ( estimated at 50 million by Eurotunnel).
Tuesday in the day, the police feared another intrusion on the Eurotunnel site because of strong traffic jam of trucks on the A 16, which waiting to use the tunnel. Another concern is the summer and recess. The room delocalized hearing, Annex District Court of Boulogne-sur-Mer, located in Coquelles in the precincts of the Administrative Detention Centre (ARC), is closed until September. This implies, for daily arrests, transfers to Boulogne, 30 km away. Either 15-20 transfers per day, with already tight police force and shortage of vehicles. “We must raise at least two police officers per capita, unfeasible!” Grunt policemen.
The solution videoconference appearances, yet functional, is “unfortunately not accepted by the lawyers of migrants,” says the prosecutor of Boulogne-sur-Mer, Jean-Pierre Valensi.