Paris (AFP) – the controversy surrounding The file containing the personal data of French is hardened on Monday with the protests of the secretary of State to Digital, and the national digital Council, which has called for his suspension, prompting the Interior minister to step up.
In a four-page letter addressed to this advisory body, Bernard Cazeneuve, has ensured that the file creation is done in “transparency”, that there has been “debate” and that “the steps of the inter-ministerial working” have been complied with.
“I don’t want to enter in polemics unnecessary”, he added in response to the secretary of State Axelle Lemaire, in the margin of a trip to Calais. Just saying respect the fact that his colleague expressed his “convictions”, he has launched: “the government is solidarity”.
The file, called “electronic Titles” secure information systems ” (TES), has been the subject of a decree published on 30 October in the official Journal. It brings together in a single database (identity, eye color, home address, photo, fingerprints…) holders of a passport and an identity card and regarding potentially nearly 60 million French.
the official launch is expected on Tuesday in the Yvelines department in the “pilot”, before its generalization in the whole of France from the beginning of 2017.
But the exceptional size of the file, the risk of piracy and, above all, the conditions of its creation, without consultation or parliamentary debate, is controversial.
In an interview in the daily liberal Opinion, Ms. Lemaire said Monday, “a major failure”: “This decree has been made soft by the ministry of the Interior, on a Sunday of all saints, in thinking that it would neither seen nor known.”
she said, “this kind of file” posed “real security problems” at a time when cyber attacks are a scourge on a large scale.
The national digital Council (CNNum) has also called on the government to “suspend the implementation” of the file.
Lamenting “the absence of any consultation prior to the publication of the decree”, he was invited to open a discussion inter-ministerial” on the subject.
According to the CNNum, the new file leaves “the door open to excesses also likely to be unacceptable” and is “conducive to the misappropriation massive purposes”.
- “A mega quack” -
last week, the president of the it Commission and freedoms (Cnil), Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin, had already opposed the creation of a file as sensitive without parliamentary debate.
“It does not seem to us appropriate for a change of this magnitude could be introduced almost on the sly”, she stated to the AFP by calling the national representation to enter the folder to weigh the “pros and cons”.
Regretting also the absence of “democratic debate”, the PCF called on the government to”repeal the decree and mandate the Cnil and the CNNum to put forward alternative proposals to secure identity documents under parliamentary control”.
environmentalists of EELV have also called for a “parliamentary debate”, denouncing “a measure repressive and dangerous, a major affront to our democracy”.
on the right, Jean-François Copé (The Republicans) says he is “very circumspect”, taking the view that the absence of information of Axelle Lemaire on the subject was “a mega quack-government”.
The new file “adheres strictly to the rule of law”, held in the other hand, the former Prime minister François Fillon (LR), also a candidate in the primary right to the presidential.
In 2012, a draft law on the right creating a mégafichier to combat identity fraud and enable the identification of a person from his / her data (fingerprints, in particular), including for forensic purposes, had been censored by the constitutional Council because of its second purpose.
To the minister of Justice, Jean-Jacques Urvoas, who was criticized in 2012 the project of the right, the new file meets today “to the goal of a fair balance between the protection of the identity of our fellow citizens and the guarantee of public freedoms”.