After the criticism of the Cnil, the controversy surrounding the mégafichier gathering the personal data of French is hardened on Monday with the protests of the secretary of State to Digital, and the national digital Council, requesting its suspension. This file, called “electronic Titles” secure information systems ” (TES), has been the subject of a decree published on 30 October in the official Journal. It brings together in a single database (identity, eye color, home address, photo, fingerprints…) holders of a passport and an identity card and regarding potentially nearly 60 million French. Its official launch is expected on Tuesday in the Yvelines department in the ” pilot “, before its g eneralization in the whole of France at the beginning of 2017.
But the exceptional size of the file, the risk of piracy and, above all, the conditions of its creation, without consultation or parliamentary debate, provoke a controversy, which was further amplified on Monday. In an interview in the daily liberal Opinion, the secretary of State for Digital Axelle Lemaire lamented, “a major failure” in its implementation. “This decree has been made soft by the ministry of the Interior, on a Sunday of all saints, in thinking that it would neither seen nor known “, she denounced.
” Real security problems “
she said, “this kind of file was a good solution 10 years ago” but today’s “real security problems” at a time when cyber attacks are a scourge computing on a large scale. “I’ll talk to the president, but do you think I weigh, in the face of the minister of the Interior, to the custody of the Seals and the Prime minister ?” she added.
The national digital Council, an advisory body, has also called on the government to “suspend the implementation” of the file. Lamenting ” the absence of any consultation prior to the publication of the decree “, he was invited to open a discussion inter-ministerial ” on the subject. According to the CNNum, the new file leaves “the door open to excesses also likely to be unacceptable “and is” conducive to the misappropriation massive purposes “.
on Tuesday, the president of the it Commission and freedoms (Cnil), Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin, had already opposed the creation of a file as sensitive without parliamentary debate. “It does not seem to us appropriate for a change of this magnitude can be introduced almost in secret “, she had claimed by calling the national representation to enter the folder to weigh the “pros and cons” and to express ” a political choice “.
” Very circumspect “
Arrested Wednesday at the Meeting by deputy Lionel Tardy (The Republicans), who regretted the lack of debate, the minister of the Interior Bernard Cazeneuve has assured that all the safeguards had been taken, and has advocated an administrative simplification. He also pointed out that the Cnil had considered that the purposes of the file were ” specified, explicit and legitimate “.
In 2012, a draft law on the right creating a mégafichier to combat identity fraud and enable the identification of a person from his / her data (fingerprints, in particular), including for forensic purposes, had been censored by the constitutional Council because of its second purpose.
To the minister of Justice Jean-Jacques Urvoas, who was criticized in 2012 the project of the right, the new file meets today ” the goal of a fair balance between the protection of the identity of our fellow citizens and the guarantee of public freedoms “. “It is absurd to imagine that we are not going to provide the instruments to ensure the security of the French to the risk that one day a party not democratic to take the power,” responded Sunday, the former Prime minister François Fillon (LR), for which the new file ” adheres strictly to the rule of law “. Another candidate in the primary right to the presidential election, Jean-François Copé (LR) said Monday, “very cautious” on the issue, believing that the absence of information to the secretary of State Axelle Lemaire on the subject was ” a mega-quack-government “.