Thirteen people died and six were injured in the night of Friday 5 to Saturday, August 6 in a fire in a bar center of Rouen (Seine-Maritime). A judicial inquiry is underway to determine the exact causes of this tragedy.
A young injured woman lying in “absolute emergency” was transferred to the Saint Louis Hospital in Paris, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) Yvan Cordier, secretary general of the prefecture of Seine-Maritime. The five injured were briefly hospitalized at the University Hospital of Rouen came out.
In a statement, President Francois Hollande expressed “its solidarity and sympathy for the families” of the victims and pledged that “everything will be (it) is” to “know the causes” of the drama. Yvon Robert Mayor (Socialist Party) of Rouen, arrived on the scene shortly before 2:00 this morning, he lamented “the greatest catastrophe” hit Rouen, according to the newspaper Paris- Normandy.
a fall down the stairs
the victims, aged 16 to 25 according to prosecutors, were celebrating a birthday Friday night in the basement bar free Cuba. According to the first elements of the investigation, “someone came down with a birthday cake with candles, and fell down the stairs” , told AFP Lawrence Labadie, Deputy prosecutor of Rouen. “There were candles projection on the walls and on the ceiling on which there was a sound insulator. There was an immediate ignition and spread of gas. “ The victims were poisoned after a matter of burning ceiling.
The investigation will confirm these elements and will focus in particular on compliance with safety standards and the presence of . emergency exits
According to the correspondent of the World in Rouen, forty people were inside the property at time of the tragedy: the twenty ground floor and as in the basement. Many other guests were on the terrace of the little busy on Friday and Saturday night bar.
Alexandre Canet, director of the mayor’s office, said that the establishment, opened in 2002, did not arise particular problem. “We never heard about” , he said.
Fire deadliest in France for eleven years
According to the Seine-Maritime prefecture, “the es firefighters were contacted at 0 h 20 (and) arrived quickly.” The Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve has also welcomed “the overwhelming response and the action of the police and firefighters of the county fire and rescue service.” Over 50 people occurred at the scene, said the minister. A medical and psychological support cell was opened to Charles Nicolle Hospital in Rouen.
Clotilde Valter, state secretary for vocational and elected Normandy, went to the scene, accompanied by the Mayor of the city, then at the University Hospital. She spoke on behalf of the government “sadness and compassion for the victims and their families.” Earlier, Prime Minister Manuel Valls had expressed his “profound sadness at the tragedy that claimed thirteen young lives” .
This is the deadliest fire in France since the September 4, 2005, which caused 18 deaths in an apartment building in L’Hay-les-Roses (Val-de-Marne).
most deadly fires in France for fifteen years
the fire that broke out in a bar in Rouen on Friday night to Saturday 5 6 August caused the death of 13 people. This is the deadliest fire since eleven years.
- September 2, 2015 , 8 people, including 2 children, were killed in the fire Criminal of a building Myrha Street in the 18 th arrondissement of Paris, which was home to immigrant families.
- September 4, 2005 18 people die in an arson fire in a high rise in L’Hay-les-Roses (Val-de-Marne). Three girls, minors at the time, were sentenced in 2008 to prison terms ranging from three to four years in prison for the fire.
- 29 August 2005 7 people, including four children, died in the blaze arson of a squatted building, Roi-Doré Street in the 3 th arrondissement of Paris.
- 26 August 2005 , an arson fire killed 17 people, including 14 children, in a dilapidated building in the boulevard Vincent-Auriol, in the 13 th arrondissement of Paris .
- April 15, 2005 , 24 people died, including 11 children, in the fire that destroyed the Paris-Opera, emergency accommodation hotel in Paris inhabited by families of African origin. It is the fire the deadliest in the capital since the Liberation.
- January 2, 2002 , a fire in a retirement home in Saint-Bonnet-de-Mure , a suburb of Lyon, causes the death of 12 elderly.