Monday, January 30, 2017

Pedro Almodovar will preside over the jury of the Cannes film festival, Le Figaro

Five times in competition, this regular visitor to the Croisette, however, has never won the Palme d’or.

A first for its 70th edition: the jury of the Cannes film Festival will be chaired this year by a Spanish filmmaker, the iconic Pedro Almodovar, used of an event which has won several awards without him awarded the Palme d’or. The director of spike Heels and Talk to her, icon flamboyant Spanish cinema for more than 30 years, will succeed the director of the saga Mad Max, the Australian George Miller. It will be awarded with the jury the Palme d’or at the end of the festival, which will take place from 17 to 28 may.

“I am very happy to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Cannes film Festival in this function if preferred. I am grateful and honoured and I have stage fright!”, said, Pedro Almodovar, 67-year-old, quoted in the press release. “Being president of the jury is a big responsibility and I hope to be at the height of the circumstances. I can tell you that I will devote myself body and soul to this task, which is both a pleasure and a privilege,” he added.

Pedro Almodovar had already been a member of the jury of the Cannes film Festival in 1992, under the chairmanship of Gérard Depardieu. The Palme d’or was won that year by Best of intentions by the Danish director Bille August.

Five times in competition – for All about my mother, Volver, Etreintes broken, The Skin I live in and Julieta last year, Pedro Almodovar has never won the Palme d’or. It has, however, been two times winner at Cannes, and for All about my mother, prix de la mise en scene in 1999, and Volver, best screenplay award and prize of collective interpretation for his actresses in 2006. Stage director known in the world, it has also been awarded two Oscars, for All about my mother and Talk to her.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment