VIDEO – Clashes broke out Monday between migrants, militants “No Border” and police during the dismantling of the southern part of the slum. Four people were arrested and five slightly injured CRS.
Boards, cardboard, structural elements … Validated by the court Thursday, the dismantling of the part south of Calais shanty town, an area of 100 m2, began Monday. After a rather quiet morning, the situation is tense in the early afternoon, despite the police presence and “a quiet and gradual dismantling” said a police officer. One hundred and fifty migrants and radical militants No Borders, who are fighting for the abolition of borders, have launched projectiles at police. “Extremists torched empty tents, said the policeman, there was a lot of stone throwing, fifteen grenades in response.” Three No Borders and a migrant were arrested. Five policemen were injured. By early evening, migrants, some armed with an iron bar, broke into the port ring road adjacent to the “jungle”, throwing stones or taking vehicles bound for England.
“read also: in Calais, the state places its” marauders “under police escort
other officers were securing the intervention of” the company withdraws tents and unoccupied shelters “, totaling a hundred policemen. Public Security Police and the LAC were deployed in support. Despite this, the work stopped about 17 hours, the situation is extremely tense. Parallel to the dismantling, thirty officials of the French Office for Immigration and Integration (OFII), the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons (OFPRA) and the prefecture of Pas-de-Calais went door-to-door in each of the cabins concerned by the dismantling.
the first ultimatum to evacuate had been set for Wednesday, February 24. But suspensive summary proceedings filed by several associations and hundreds of migrants had left pending evacuation, before validating Thursday. In recent days, the debate has crystallized around alternative housing provided by state services. The government announced a calibrated plan for 800-1 000. A countdown largely underestimated, consider the associations, which amounted rather the number of people affected at more than 3 400. But the prefecture maintains its figures.
“We squared area and 100 police officers at the borders went into each tent” explains Steve Barbet, head of communications for the prefecture of Pas-de-Calais. “We have counted between 800 and 1000 people, and our estimate was considered reliable by the Administrative Court in its decision on Thursday. ‘
” Read also: How the crisis of migrants padlocked the borders of Europe
Several alternative housing are planned: the temporary reception center, built by the state next to the slum, has 200 available seats. Behind the ring road, civil security tents can receive 500 migrants. Furthermore, the reception centers for asylum seekers with 500 seats available, and the government announced Friday the creation of 500 additional places throughout France. But these centers are struggling to fill: most migrants do not want to give up England. Monday evening, 150 migrants were brought into the port ring road, hurling stones or typing on trucks bound for England before the police regained control of the premises.