Monday around 6 hours, the migrants arrived at the gathering point fixed by the authorities for the total evacuation of the “jungle” of Calais. These women and men are presented with suitcases and backpacks in front of the hangar serving as headquarters in the operation, which should see 6 000 to 8 000 migrants to be transported by car in specific reception centres during the whole week. A queue of sixty people stretches in front of the airlock still closed, giving access to the HQ, under the streetlights illuminating the bike path. In parallel, a dozen vans of CRS and a few trucks carrying equipment left at 5: 45 p.m. on the beach-front hotel to take the management of the centre operations. This huge operation is presented as 8220;humanitarian” by the government. It should allow to finish with the largest slum of France, born 18 months ago and inhabited by refugees for the majority of Afghanistan, the Sudan or Eritrea, with the dream to cross the English Channel to win the Great Britain.
the First step in the process, the migrants will have access to “a sas”, a large disused warehouse located 300 m from the “jungle”. On Sunday, the public authorities have stepped up their rounds of information to distribute explanatory leaflets. On the side of the authorities, we expected a high voter turnout even before the doors open, some migrants may arrive early to be sure to ride in the bus. The device was thought to direct them, after an interview, depending on their personal situation. Men only, families, or vulnerable persons will be distributed among the 12 regions of france (excluding Corsica). A real “bus station” has been set up to ensure the smooth flow of the operation, with 60 buses planned from the first day. “If we can steer 2 000 to 2 500 people Monday, this is very well,” said Didier Leschi, director general of the Ofii (French Office for immigration and integration).
The organization is millimétrée, since the location of the cars during the ride, the presence of constables on the areas of highway, up to the schedule of departures, the most remote locations being serviced in the evening for a night-time driving. In the last part of the hangar, camp beds had been installed as early as Sunday to accommodate those who are expected to pass the night on the spot. The miners, themselves, will be the subject of a specific treatment, since they will be able to stay 15 more days in the containers installed on the camp, waiting to know if they can win the Great Britain (as close to 200 have been able to do since the beginning of the week), or if they are oriented towards CAD-minors in France. But the willingness of the authorities is clear : ultimately, the camp must disappear, and the operations of plowing will begin as soon as Tuesday. On-site Sunday, the expectation was palpable, and it was sufficient for the migrants to look at the influx of journa lists to understand, if necessary, the imminence of an operation.
Many, including the Sudanese and the Éythréens, had already prepared their suitcase. Others, mostly Afghans, seemed to be more reluctant, or incredulous, at the idea of dismantling. “It will force us to leave. We want to go in Great Britain”, ensured Sunday Kharazi, an Afghan living in containers in the temporary accommodation centre. But the dissenters have been warned : they expose themselves to an interpellation at the end of the evacuation and placement in administrative detention centre. Many migrants are drawn to the idea of moving in Britain seemed however to have left the camp in recent weeks. Still others, such as Sam, a Syrian, after 13 months in the “Jungle”, claim to have “planted their tent in another place,” to a dozen kilometres. “They are dozens like me”, he said, decided to rally the Canada or Great Britain,” and showing “no confidence” in the French authorities. In an interview with the Voice of North, the minister of the Interior Bernard Cazeneuve shows yet serene : “We have a comprehensive strategy to prevent a fixation point does reform.” The public authorities recognize, however, that “it is a dangerous operation, which may escalate, with the need to involve the public force”, especially because of the possible presence of-globalization activists. Also 1 250 police officers and gendarmes have been mobilised. But the operation, presented as “humanitarian”, was skeptical of some associative : “the government’s dream that, by destroying, this will solve the problem of migration, but this is a mistake : a good portion of the people that they’re going to come back, not to mention that there are always new arrivals, about 30 per day,” said Sunday, François Guennoc, vice-president of the Auberge des migrants.