News This is a case that pays. Chronic over seven years. Monday, ten defendants suspected of taking advantage of the vulnerability of Liliane Bettencourt will be judged by the criminal court of Bordeaux. The opportunity to take stock of the trial which the greater will be absent Liliane Bettencourt.
• When was “the Bettencourt affair”? This is the complaint of the daughter of the billionaire, Françoise Bettencourt-Meyers, filed against December 2007 François-Marie Basnier, which marks the starting point of this case which has often grazed the scandal of state.
• Who is judged? Ten people will appear before the criminal court of Bordeaux. All are thought to have, to varying degrees, had a grip on the old lady and took advantage of his vulnerability, between 2007 and 2011. Among them, François-Marie Basnier, worldly photographer and close friend of Liliane Bettencourt, and her companion Martin d’Orgeval. Also included on the dock, Patrice de Maistre, manager of the fortune of the billionaire, the UMP and former Minister Eric Woerth, and Pascal Wilhelm, Patrice de Maistre’s successor, former man of the 11th World Wealth confidence.
& gt; & gt; ALSO READ – An agreement between Bettencourt and Courbit
• What are the charges? The defendants appear for allegedly “abuse of weakness” of “breach of trust” committed against Liliane Bettencourt, now 92 years old, as well as “bleaching” and ” receiving stolen goods. ”
• How long will the trial? This pane for “abuse of weakness” will be held for five weeks. This is the first of a case that includes three for “influence peddling”, “invasion of privacy of privacy” and “breach of confidentiality”. One for “influence peddling” concerns only Patrice de Maistre, the asset manager of the heiress of L’Oreal. He will be judged from 23 to 25 March by the criminal court in Bordeaux.
On the other hand, six people will be returned to court for the file relating to the “invasion of privacy privacy “the former butler Liliane Bettencourt, Pascal Bonnefoy, author of the clandestine recordings that precipitated the case. But five journalists from Point and Médiapart : Franz-Olivier Giesbert, director of Point , Hervé Gattegno, editor of the weekly , Edwy Plenel, director of Médiapart , Fabrice Arfi, a journalist with pure player, and Fabrice Lhomme, a former journalist for Médiapart . Their court date has not yet been determined.
& gt; & gt; ALSO READ – Case Bettencourt: what are we going to judge?
The flap “breach of confidentiality” respect for his announcement Le Monde , 1 September 2010, conducted a search at Liliane Bettencourt the same day. The judge in Nanterre, Isabelle Prevost-Desprez, who led the search, is thought to have advised journalists daily. It will be judged as such, for “breach of confidentiality” on 8 and 9 June.
Finally, the final twist in this sprawling affair, the former accountant of Liliane Bettencourt, Claire Thiboult was indicted for “perjury” and “false statement”. A separate investigation was opened in Paris on complaints in July 2012, François-Marie Basnier and Patrice de Maistre. This is one of the elements which suggests that the first two days of the trial would result in a “fire procedural artifice”, slipped a judicial source. Indeed, at a preparatory meeting around the judge Denis Roucou in December, several defense lawyers had expressed their intention to request a postponement of the trial, citing the indictment for perjury of the main prosecution witness in this component “abuse of weakness”.
& gt; & gt; ALSO READ – What happens Liliane Bettencourt, down since 2012
• Why was there a trial of place in Bordeaux? This is a result of a decision of the Court of Cassation on 17 November 2010, the case file was transferred from Nanterre, Hauts-de-Seine, in Bordeaux, Gironde, following disagreements between the judges in charge of the investigation, Isabelle Prevost-Desprez and Philippe Courroye, the prosecutor of Nanterre. The latter, presented as a friend of Nicolas Sarkozy by former President himself, had been discharged from the file following the case of fadettes. At the time, the representative of the Crown had considered that the criminal court of Nanterre which were treated the main aspects of the case, no longer seemed to guarantee the image of an “independent” justice and “serene”.
• Who are the key judges of the trial? Denis Roucou chair the Bordeaux Criminal Court in this ultra-media trial. The 55 years, firm reputation, since September is vice president of the High Court of Bordeaux. In June 2012, during its probably the most publicized trial to date, Denis Roucou had presided at the Assize Court of Le Mans, the trial of the parents of the little Marina, died eight years in 2009 in the Sarthe, after years of beatings and torture.
The prosecution will in turn represented by the discrete Aldigé Gerard, 61, who describes himself as a man “reserved”. The judge follows the folder from the instruction takes place in Bordeaux. He had already written requisitions in this case, in June 2013. Gerard Aldigé had then advocated a dismissal for Nicolas Sarkozy – the former president finally got – but also to Eric Woerth, Stéphane Courbit and Pascal Wilhelm, who them, will be well represented on the bench against the defendants attorney
& gt;. & gt; ALSO READ – Sarkozy rid of the case Bettencourt