Saturday, September 3, 2016

The AP-HP suspends the distribution of breast milk after two suspicious deaths – Le Figaro

The milk bank of Ile de France, sheltered by the Necker Hospital in Paris, has taken this decision following a suspected contamination of three premature infants died two.

This is “a precautionary measure”. This Saturday, the Assistance Publique – Hôpitaux de Paris (AP-HP) announced that the milk bank of Île-de-France, attached to the Necker Hospital was suspending distribution of breast milk from donations. At the root of this decision, “three very premature contamination of suspicion”, two of whom died, wrote the AP-HP in a statement.

Since August 6, three newborns were contaminated by bacteria called “Bacillus Cereus”. This can contaminate food and be responsible for food poisoning (vomiting, diarrhea) often benign in humans but can have “serious consequences in some very preterm or very vulnerable people,” says the AP-HP. Two of the infants died “without it being possible at this stage to say whether it is infection (bacterial, ed) which is responsible for worsening of their condition,” says AP-HP , adding that the third great premature is doing well. Clearly, it is unclear whether the bacteria is the cause of their deaths.

Examinations are being

Analyses strains had infected infants are ongoing. “It is whether these strains are identical and therefore there may be a common origin for these three situations of contamination,” explains the AP-HP. The results of these tests will be available at the latest by end of next week. Meanwhile, other surveys are conducted to identify the causes of the contamination.

Hospitals of Paris also trying to find out if the milk given to these very premature babies weighing less than a kilo could be to origin of these contaminations. Indeed, all three were in their breast milk supply origin issued by the milk bank of Île-de-France. It was therefore decided to suspend their distribution by measuring “precaution”, with batch recall. Although at this stage, “microbiological checks on milk delivered by the milk bank Necker (including those administered to three newborns affected) were all negative,” continues the AP-HP. For now, it is “not possible to assert that this milk is the source of the contamination, but it is not possible to exclude at this stage,” said the institution.

6000 liters of milk distributed each year

The milk donation is highly regulated. “The collected milk is pasteurized and controlled respecting the good practice guide,” says Necker Hospital on its website. Are made “bacteriological checks, virological (serology with respect to HIV, HCV …) ‘and’ fraud detection (search cow’s milk protein).” When a young mother agrees to donate her milk, milk bank’s team provides him all the necessary equipment: breast milk containers. Mom fills the equivalent of a small bottle per day, freezes and gives the teams the milk bank that pass recover every two weeks.

Each year, the milk bank in Ile-de- France, which supplies neonatal units in the region Ile-de-France and other regions, delivers 6000 liters of milk. Premature receive this milk time that lactation their own mother to warm up or when the mother can not or does not wish to breastfeed, recalls the Necker Hospital. 90% of babies receiving the milk donations are premature babies. The remaining 10% of babies are hospitalized for serious disorders of the digestive system or another.


No comments:

Post a Comment