Mayor of Calais exceeded, a port President requesting a “crisis meeting very quickly ” what’s happening Since Saturday, January 23 in the city of Pas-de-Calais, where dozens of migrants boarded a ferry in the early evening?
Back on a weekend with extra high tension backdrop crisis of migrants:
# An event that degenerates
The scheduled event Saturday at Calais migrant camp support for the “Jungle” promised to be peaceful. It was, at first … before degenerating.
The share of hostile acts and the other have in particular been observed. A resident of Calais has shouted at the protesters in violent terms from his window, observed an AFP photographer.
More violent again, a Calaisien, exasperated, was photographed a gun in hand, just meters migrants . In return, he has been the target of projectiles:
In addition, in the city center, the statue in the effigy of General de Gaulle and his wife Yvonne was tagged a “Nik of France” written in red letters. Degradation immediately denounced by the LR mayor, Natacha Bouchart, and quickly erased.
But on Sunday, this act of vandalism still provoked strong reactions on social networks. Here, one of the LR Mayor Gérald Darmanin Tourcoing:
# Migrant which invite a ferry
Extremely rare, the migrants managed to break into a ferry, causing blocking the port for more than three hours.
The incident occurred after the event, in late afternoon, when groups have forced a dam to climb aboard the “Spirit of Britain”, from Dover and parked in the harbor.
Of the approximately 150 people who entered the port area, several dozen were able to win the ship:
During the night, these are 350 people who were evacuated from the port by security forces . the order, said the Ministry of Interior Sunday
Thirty-five people were arrested – 26 migrants fraudulent boarding a ship, and nine activists of the collective “No Borders” – and 15 were taken into custody, did it the same source.
“It is now up to the courts to decide,” added instead Beauvau in a statement.
# Local authorities burnout
These incidents have resulted in exceeding the highest point the Mayor of Calais Natacha Bouchart. Since Saturday overflows, the aedile multiplies tweets condemning the incident and calling on the government to “protect and Calais of Calais”. Excerpts:
“I had already told all the state services that such events happen,” she has said at a press conference Sunday morning, and whose “La Voix du Nord” echoes.
For his part, the president of the port Calais Jean-Marc Puissesseau application “crisis talks very quickly [...] with local, regional officials, parliamentarians and government, “saying” it could not last. “
Same story on the side of NPDC-Picardie Regional Council. Its president, Xavier Bertrand, calling for “sanctions” against the “No Borders in Calais” and “military reinforcements” and calls for “urgent crisis meeting” at the department:
# The government cornered
Faced with the situation, the government is compelled to react. It’s done: Sunday afternoon, the Interior reported that the Mayor of Calais Natacha Bouchart February 3 would be received by the Minister Bernard Cazeneuve and his counterpart of Justice Christiane Taubira
“Bernard Cazeneuve, Minister of Interior, said the total commitment of the government to ensure public order in Calais “, indicated instead Beauvau, earlier in the day, in a statement
In it is recalled the measures already implemented to deal with the crisis. Thus the payment of € 50 million as part of a “territorial agreement”, or strengthening of law enforcement measures, particularly through the mobilization for months of 17 units of mobile forces.
The statement also refers to “significant tunnel safety work and port” since last summer, and the establishment of ” humanitarian solutions “that” have reduced the number of migrants present in 4000, against 6,000 in the last few months.
Sunday, some 2,000 people, according to the prefecture, marched again on the streets of Calais. But for “support jobs” of port traders and professionals confronted with the presence of many migrants.
EH with AFP