A car containing several gas cylinders found last weekend in the heart of Paris without firing device: this suspicious discovery triggered, amid threat of attacks, a counter-terrorism investigation and arrest of two people.
the two suspects remained in custody Wednesday night, did we learned from sources close to the investigation. This is a couple, a man and a woman, both known to intelligence services to belong to the radical Islamist movement, sources said. The owner of the car, which had been taken into custody, was released Tuesday night, according to these sources. He was known for past actions of Islamist proselytism.
This discovery taken seriously given the context, triggered by the opening of the Paris anti-terrorist prosecutor preliminary investigation for criminal association terrorist criminal. In this context, investigations are continuing to determine the existence or not of a planned attack, said a source close to the investigation.
The Anti-Terrorism Section (SAT) of the Criminal Brigade Branch of Homeland security (RPS) were seized Sunday after the testimony of a bar worker who noticed the presence of a gas cylinder on a seat of a parked car, hazard lights on and without plates registration, police said.
The bottle was empty. But the police found in the trunk of five full gas bottles, said a source close to the investigation.
Inside, the investigators did, however, find any firing system .
the car was parked in a street in the fifth arrondissement of Paris, near the Montebello quay facing the Notre-Dame-de-Paris, police said.
in a letter sent Tuesday to the police prefect of Paris Michel Cadot, which AFP has been copied, Florence Berthout, LR mayor of the district, also mentions “a book of notes in Arabic” discovered in the car that has been “parked illegally for more than two hours and, despite several telephone reports sent by a trader to the police.”
it criticizes in his letter the “lack of manpower” police in this district frequented by “thousands of tourists, and students (…) every day”
-. The specter of car bombs –
France is facing high terrorist threat after a series of jihadist attacks mostly claimed by the Islamic State group (EI) since early 2015, and other projects aborted or frustrated.
“it’s part this vigilance, paying attention to everything that was conducted this arrest, “said Bernard Cazeneuve at the exit of ministers at Matignon. According to the interior minister, “this arrest does not give the result of the investigation, or disclose for now the intentions of those who were arrested.”
Before the commission of national Defence and armed Forces of the national Assembly on May 10, the head of the ISB Calvar Patrick had mentioned the risk of “a new form of attack” with “the deposit of explosives” in places gathering a large crowd. Before the parliamentary commission investigating the attacks, he also said “confident” that the jihadists “will rise in power” passing stage “of car bombs and explosive devices”.
” Once they have projected in our territory for bomb, they can avoid sacrificing their fighters while creating maximum damage, “he said
07/09/2016 8:01:59 p.m.. – paris (AFP) – AFP © 2016